Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I wish they all could be California...

Coming from LA, it saddens me that the only "underground" California bands people have heard of in Northampton are people like Mickey Avalon and Mika Miko. Without further ado, allow me to introduce you to my favorite Californians you probably haven't heard of.









Knights of the New Crusade (Myspace)


I've been playing these guys on my shows ever since I got here. They're a surf garage-punk band from Emeryville, CA and they are amazing. Their shtick-- Christian punk satire. The music is guaranteed to get you on your feet and twisting the night away, just make sure to listen to the lyrics.

Album pick: My God Is Alive! Sorry About Yours! (2005)










Retarded Muppit Farm (Myspace)


More Northern California here with RMF. These boys from Sacramento, California spend their time at the crossroads of weird, weirder, absurdly funny and oddly beautiful.

Other than that, words can't really describe what this music sounds like.

Album Pick: ManSound (2008)











The Amazements (Myspace)

Yes! Some LA people! I love the Amazements. Garagey, noisy and LOUD. And they're legitimately fabulous musicians. With their rollicking Three 6 Mafia covers and simultaneously rocking and experimental original material, these guys are going places.
If you ever have a chance, see them live.

Album Pick: Well, I think they only have one album out, called The Amazements, probably released in 2007 or so. I have no idea how to get it. Visit their Myspace and contact them.

1 comment:

b said...

mickey avalon, mika miko, and no age. yawn.