Thursday, November 27, 2008

No Homo



A few things have inspired me and all relate:

1. The November 11th episode of the Colbert Report (the first part with Dan Savage)
2. The Boondocks episode, The Story of Gangstalicious Pt. 2 [amazing show, get on it if you don't already watch it]
3. When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip Hop feminist breaks it down by Joan Morgan

I love hip hop. I love homos. I'm a homo that love hip hop but hip hop doesn't seem to love me. The homophobia in hip hop stems from the homophobia in the Black community. Why? Read about it (Joan Morgan's book touches on it a little bit, Pick Up the Mic, Black Sexual Politics by Patricia Hill Collins, Gender Talk by Cole and Guy-Sheftall, etc), but I don't really want to get into too much academic detail right now.

What I want to talk about are the gay artists in the hip hop scene making a name for themselves, well just one. Current obsession: Yo! Majesty. They're hot lesbian rappers from Florida and have been called "2 Live Crew's step sister" or something to that effect. PLEASE. 2 Live Crew had their time, no need to compare Yo! to anyone. They're currently on tour (check out their myspace for dates) and will be in Boston at the end of January;best believe I'm planning on going and winning JWL B.'s heart, at least for a night. JWL B. and Shunda K. are doing their own thing, making sweet tracks with sweet beats and winning my heart along the way. I mean what more could a girl want? If only other fly female rappers would come out of the closet. Don't trip, just because a woman is in rap doesn't make her a lesbian but there are a few that I feel just need to admit it. I mean it's Thanksgiving, aren't holidays the time to come out? I won't name names though.

Listen:
Booty Clap

happy thanksgiving. I'm thankful for family, friends, wozq, and all the divas that have paved the way.

No comments: